Week 8! Oddly enough, after I complained about last week’s ebb of creativity, I was struck with a story. Or rather, struck with a title and first line.
The Most Miserable Prom on Planet Earth
The first line:
My prom date is a space alien.
Despite its beginnings, it has no trace of science fiction or fantasy. Really. I scribbled down the title and that first line on Sunday, then wrote the story on Monday. I won’t say it came from nowhere, but it was unexpected. So considering how busy the week was, I got my writing and subbing in and I was quite pleased.
- The Most Miserable Prom on Planet Earth, ~ 2,000 words
- Breaking the Unwritten Rules in Middle Grade and Young Adult Fiction assignment: 350 words on a dialogue scene
- The Madness in King’s End But! This is a rejection-plus. I didn’t win the contest I entered it in, but the story was one of two honorable mentions. This pleases me immensely, since the contest was for mystery fiction, and this story is more mysterious than mystery.
- The Madness in King’s End (and yes, I sent it right back out again)
- It Only Takes a Minute (this one too from last week)
- Payment My “it doesn’t get much shorter than this” short story went live at Literary Juice.