Quick check-in and a day late. Not a lot of progress this past week, but I did have a major revelation. The novella, which was supposed to be a giveaway for signing up for my mail list, is now going to be a novel. To be precise, the second book in the series.
The story contains a crucial thread for the overall series. And yes, I could weave that into the series, I feel it’s better if I simply expand the novella into an actual novel.
Once I made this decision, half a dozen plot threads popped into my mind. It’s not only doable, I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.
Bowker is up and running again, and I have a new block of ISBNs. I’ve started the process of getting the large print versions of Coffee and Ghosts into the system. The interiors are done, but I need to adjust the covers because more pages = larger spine.
This week, I worked on the revision to The Trouble with Necromancers. I made a chart with all the main and secondary characters and then went through and detailed how each character interacted with Poppy (the main characters) and each other, along with other details–what nefarious plans they have, where they’re going (or think they’re going), any ties between them.
I have somehow come up with a story that, while contemporary, has a number of threads that start in the past. I need a chart to keep this all straight.
I also read somewhere that the protagonist’s journey should be strong enough that it prompts a change in the other characters in the story. I don’t think this needs to be heavy-handed. But I think it’s something to keep in mind, especially for a series.
That’s it for this week. Now, back to charting.
Tea & Sorcery in 2019
So, this week, I formatted all the Coffee & Ghosts books for large print. And if not for that incident at Bowker, I’d have a block of ISBNs, and the titles would already be available for purchase rather than sitting on my hard drive.
I consolidated my notes on the manuscript revision, wrote out questions I need to answer, and now I’m banking it for later. Why?
Well, I’ve gone as far as I can for the moment. Also? It’s been exactly three months since I finished the second draft of The Trouble with Necromancers. It’s time to start again and get this new series out the door.
That’s right, 2019. I’m looking at you.
This week, I finally finished getting all my books uploaded to Ingram Spark and into KDP Print. Whew. One task off my list.
I also did some extensive world building. Lots and lots of notes, notions, and ideas. I think I’m ready to move into the actual manuscript revision. I may revisit The Emotional Craft of Fiction while I do so. I really enjoyed working through the exercises a few months back with The Trouble with Necromancers.
And that’s about it for this week. I’ll leave you with this picture of turkeys in and around our crabapple tree.
I did some work on revision this week. I managed to write a “pitch” (although, I don’t pitch anymore, so it’s more of a description of the story), worked on some covers for the series (these just came out of the blue), and made some overall progress on the story structure.
I’m nearly done with moving all my paperbacks into KDP Print and into the Ingram system. Additionally, I also solved an essential problem I was having.
How to share my desk with the cat.
So, after the renovations, instead of moving my printer back to my desk, I decided on one of these:
It’s a Hepper Nest Cat Bed. It’s amazing. Oreo loves it. It keeps her off my keyboard (most of the time). And we couldn’t be happier.
Oreo in her nest bed.
So, it’s November, which means many writers are doing National Novel Writing Month. As for me, I’m planning on using November to do a little light housekeeping.
This week, I finished the read-through of a novel I’d written a while back, and I’m thinking it could be something. With some work, that is. The next step is to essentially write an editorial letter … to myself. Then I’ll work on how I want to revise the story.
I need to move my books from Createspace to KDP Print. While I’m doing that, I want to upload the titles to Ingram Spark for extended distribution. I’m selling enough in print that I’m really leaving money on the table using Amazon’s version of extended distribution.
I’ll also search for some markets/reprint markets for some of my shorter fiction as well and fill up my submission tracker as well. It’s looking a little thin these days.
I’m sure I’ll think of other housekeeping chores for the month as well. I’ll let you know what I come up with.
Just a quick check-in to say: The Trouble with Doppelgangers is complete at 24,000 (give or take). I’m relieved that it didn’t turn into an actual novel. Because I would need to write another subscriber bonus (which would then turn into another novel … you get the idea).
It also reminded me how much I like writing novellas. One of these days, I’m going to have to write another novella series (I have an idea in mind, one involving dragons–sort of).
So, once I launch the Tea & Sorcery series, I’ll send the bonus to my mail list (for the curious, you can sign up for that here).